All PR and marketing firms are the same, right?
PR and marketing firms are unique, and finding the right firm for your nonprofit or for-profit organization is critical to whether the firm will serve you well, or not.
Here are some pointers when searching for the right firm:
- Do they have a proven track record representing organizations in your industry category?
- Are they small enough to give you personalized service, yet experienced enough that they know what they are doing?
- Will they give you sufficient time and work for your PR marketing budget?
- Will the top person/people at the firm be involved in the day-to-day activities on your behalf?
- Are they responsive and accessible? Do they return calls/emails promptly and are they available for in-person meetings when you need them?
- Is the quality of their work, namely their writing, first-class? If not, you might be getting an inexperienced person or even an intern working behind the scenes.
- Do they think strategically or do they simply churn out press releases?
- Do they charge for every expense to the point that the monthly fee increases by 20-30%? (If this is the case, run!)
- Is the chemistry right? Do you believe you will actually enjoy working with them?
- Last, are they creative? Do they bring new, fresh ideas to the table, or is it the case of same old, same old?
These are just some of the questions you should ask when interviewing PR marketing firms, and after you make a decision, make sure they abide by all their promises.